HISTORYMuirfield Golf Club was incorporated on 31 December 1953 and a lease signed on 1 January 1954 with the property owner, prominent Sydney dentist Dr Walter Wearn.
Dr Wearn had a vision that portion of his land holdings among the rolling hills, orchards and market gardens that were pre-war North Rocks would make an ideal site for a golf course for his wife Polly who was an excellent golfer.
The course took shape in the post war years and became known as the Barclay Golf and Country Club and later as North Rocks Golf Club.
In 1953, the members agreed to form a club and seek a new name that was not associated with either Barclay or North Rocks. A committee was formed and an approach made to the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers at their Muirfield Golf Club, Scotland to use the name Muirfield at the fledging club in North Rocks. Agreement was reached that the club would be known as the Australian Muirfield Golf Club.
Much hard work was carried out by those early members to transform what was at best a goat track to the present 18 hole Group 1 Golf Course we have to day.
Over many years, the club negotiated with the Wearn family to purchase the golf course outright. Finally in 1988 contracts were signed and the members achieved their aim, paying $2 million.
Thanks to the vision, hard work and perseverance of our pioneers, todays generation of golfers are reaping the rewards on a first class golf course and enjoying the proud tradition of fellowship that is Muirfield.